Thursday 13 December 2012

The Edit: Winter Skincare



























There’s no such thing as an all-purpose approach to beauty so when the seasons change, just like your wardrobe, so should your beauty regime.  Here's a brief outline of my hero products this particularly chilly winter season...  

In the long winter months skin can often become dull and lifeless thanks to freezing temperatures and the dehydrating effects of central heating. I like to combat the inevitable dryness by adding an oil to my skincare regime underneath my regular nighttime moisturiser.  Aesop's Fabulous Facial Oil is my current standby. A couple of drops massaged in under my favourite moisturisers from Embryolisse and La Roche Posay are highly moisturising without feeling too heavy. I've been alternating the Aesop with de Mamiel's Winter Oil which is specifically designed to work in harmony with the natural cycles of the environment. The Winter Oil restores moisture to dry and dehydrated skin and protects it during the winter months through its unique combination of flower essences, essential oils, plant extracts and base oils. On top of all this, it smells divine! As well as using oils, twice a week I'll be aiming to incorporate a face mask into my regime. Caudalie's Moisturizing Mask when stored in the fridge simultaneously de-puffs, soothes and locks in much needed moisture. Klorane's soothing and relaxing eye patches for tired eyes have a similarly decongesting and brightening effect thanks to extracts of cornflower (soothes and softens), arnica (drains and decongests) and chamomile (relaxes and calms). Great for curing the effects of festive reveling! My lipbalm addiction reaches dangerous levels in the winter, so I always have either Caudalie's lip conditioner or Lucas' Pawpaw ointment to hand. It goes without saying really but make sure you also hydrate from within. Don't forget to drink plenty of water and incorporate oily fish into your diet to improve the appearance of your skin.  

With the prospect of 4 months hidden under wooly tights, attending to the rest of your body can often fall by the wayside. Don't let this happen!! Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! Kiehl's Soy Milk and Honey body polish is a personal favourite of mine which I follow up with a generous helping of body moisturiser. Aesop's refreshing and hydrating Geranium Leaf Body Balm would be my desert island choice. It sinks in almost immediately, great for when you don't have time to marinate! If the dryness is a little more stubborn, Bliss's High Intensity 24–‘heaven’™ Healing Body Balm does exactly what it says on the tin, as does the cult classic Kiehl's Crème de Corps. As with your face, adding an oil to your bathtime regime is a great way to rehydrate dry skin. Aromatherapy Associates is my go-to, especially their multi award winning Relax Deep bath and shower oil which promotes deep, comforting sleep. Body-oil wise, Ligne St Barths do a lovely Avocado oil which is excellent for combatting dry skin and hair. Apply to slightly damp skin for added suppleness and to lock in moisture. For any other problem areas (elbows anyone?!) Weleda's Skin Food does the job.

When it comes to makeup, my routine hardly ever wavers whatever the season. That said, as my summer tan fades, I have switched my summer standby (Chanel's Rouge Coco Lipstick in Sari Doré) for a more reddish hue. Poppy King's Lipstick Queen lipstick in Medieval is a sheer, flattering red which can be layered up accordingly. Great for those who (like me) are afraid of too much pigment! 

(Image: Kate Moss by Sante D’Orazio.)
Products available to buy here.

7 comments:

  1. Your post inspired me to get off my fat arse and make some brown sugar & oatmeal body scrub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Love your blog:)

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me of how much I love Sante D’Orazio early work and that I've been meaning to research the archive for a post.

    Caudalie Lip Conditioner has been the best thing I've found for my lips. It's all I use. You're so right about winter- I really have to make sure that I stay hydrated and pamper with lotions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It's always hot where I currently live, so if you have any tips on how to not look feral in hot, tropical climates, do share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I don't have much experience of hot climates, but in summer I'm never without Caudalie's Beauty Elixir which I use throughout the day to rehydrate and refresh!

      Delete
  5. The foundation facial is for those clients seeking to rejuvenate their skin. This is accomplished through increasing skin cell turnover, oxygenating the skin through massage and optimum hydration. The foundation facial addresses a number of skin concerns such as acne and age-management. It is also a great treatment for maintaining healthy skin. best skincare products

    ReplyDelete