Wednesday 13 February 2013

Interview: Sherie Muijs



































I've been admiring New Zealand shirtmaker Sherie Muijs' pared down and beautifully cut shirts since seeing them on Natalie's blog a few months ago. Polished and sophisticated yet simple enough for everyday wear, Sherie's button downs are the cornerstone of any elegant wardrobe. I caught up with her to talk Dries, Demeulemeester and all things shirts.

Hi Sherie. Where are you and what are you doing right now?
I am currently working from my home-studio based at my parents place. An old three-storey villa with a view I shall I never take for granted.

How did you get into design?
To be a designer has always been the obvious career path for me. Fashion was of particular interest from my early days. I am often reminded of being very young, changing my outfits a few times a day and reworking my personal wardrobe with my “hole in the tummy” cut outs. Even still, it’s not uncommon for me to change into something else, mood and weather dependent.

How would you describe the Sherie Muijs aesthetic in three words?
Treasured, timeless and hand-crafted.

Who and what influences your designs?
Joan Didion, Ann Demeulemeester and Dries van Noten, Patti Smith’s ‘Just Kids’, Sofia Coppola, Britain in the 1960’s and Margaret Howell, friends Natalie Smith, Greta van der Star and Kate Megaw of Penny Sage.

Talk us through the design process.
I start with an idea. If I can’t visualize what I am about to create then it becomes very difficult to see the project or collection through. I pattern-make and sample until I’m happy with the shape, fit, balance, fabric, and design details.

What made you create a shirt only collection?
Shirts have always been the starting-point of every collection since my graduate collection of white shirts; I would then flesh out the rest of the collection from there. My frustration with the pace of the industry and having to rush the design process led me into wanting to pare it back. I am a perfectionist and enjoy that I can now focus on doing one thing and one thing well.

I love your recent nightshirt design. How did you come to collaborate with Simon James concept store?
A good friend of mine had done some work for them and put us in contact knowing that we would work well together. I appreciate the Simon James aesthetic and resonate with everything they do and put their name to.

Are you limiting your brand’s vision to shirts or will you be expanding into other garments?
... Just shirts.

Who is the Sherie Muijs girl?
She lives in an apartment with white walls and wooden floors.
She likes to go to the markets to buy fresh fruit and veg.
She likes to spend time with friends and drink wine.
She doesn’t need to be the life of the party, but loves to throw a good party.
She’s not loud, and is a good listener.
She is generous with her time.
She is a good friend.
She likes things to smell nice.
She looks after her things and treasures them.
She is a writer.
She likes to laugh.
She isn’t “dolled up” or wearing flashy things.
She is comfortable.
She has a partner. They are both creative.

He loves that she shows attention to detail.
He loves that she is driven.
He loves that she irons the tablecloth and that the cutlery is set out perfectly.

How would you describe your personal style and how does that manifest itself in your designs?
Classic and comfort are the two core ingredients in my wardrobe, both of which are reflected in the work I create.

What are your 5 wardrobe essentials?
A white shirt, a silk shirt, a shirt-dress, tan sandals and white converse.

Any beauty rituals?
My regime is pretty simple. I use Keihls ‘Rosa Arctica’ lightweight face cream paired with their oil free 50+ sunscreen in the summer. I moisturize most days and once or twice a week use Grown’s body exfoliant and run a purple shampoo through my hair. I have been inspired to moisturize using ingredients like honey, lemon and brown sugar – but I’m yet to give it a go.

What’s coming up next for you?
I have new shirt styles brewing and have been invited to launch a Sherie Muijs space where you will find my full collection along with limited edition and one-off pieces. More news on this soon!

Describe your perfect day
My perfect day would start with a green smoothie and black coffee while processing sales from my online store. The day would also involve markets, a walk or adventure with friends followed by dinner, wine and a game of scrabble.

See more of Sherie's work on her website and beautiful blog.

4 comments:

  1. lovely interview

    x
    kayla

    www.nearlyoldfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was right there on the interview until the last set on "who is the Sherie Muijs girl"

    He loves that she shows attention to detail.
    He loves that she is driven.
    He loves that she irons the tablecloth and that the cutlery is set out perfectly.

    perhaps I'm just oversensitive to sexism and gender roles, but all of these statements of what HE loves about her... strike me as being outdated and frankly, demeaning. how about changing out HE for PARTNER and that they both love these qualities in one another. as a heterosexual, powerful female, who strives for equality of the sexes and acceptance of all types of sexuality, I feel it necessary to call out things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of Sheri Muijs before, but knew little about the designer or label so this was a fascinating read. I like the concept of a shirt only collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful beautiful profile. thank you for sharing this wonderful artist's vision.

    ReplyDelete